Programs & Services

Reporting Procedures


Meadowbrook Claims Service (MCS) is the Claims Administrator for the Michigan Municipal League Liability & Property Pool.

Meadowbrook Claims Service:  800-752-7477

After-hours emergency number:  248-358-1100 ext. 6116

What Is A Claim?

A claim is an accident or incident that results in an injury or property damage. A claim may also be a request from another party for money damages as a result of an incident that arises out of your operations.

When Do I Report A Claim?

Report claims to MCS immediately after the incident or receiving a request or notification from another party that they are making a claim. Don’t wait for estimates or invoices before submitting a claim.

What To Do When A Claim Occurs

For damage to municipal property or buildings, take steps to secure the property or building as needed. If necessary, contact a contractor to perform temporary or emergency repairs to secure the property.

Record the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the incident.

If the claim results from an accident, inspect the accident area and record the condition of the area. Photos taken of the damage or where the accident occurred are very helpful.

If someone is reporting the incident to you, ask them to describe what happened and the date the incident occurred. Be sure to obtain their current address, phone number, and email address.

If the person reporting asks what will be done with their claim, advise them that the information will be submitted to your insurance company, who will be contacting them.

The person reporting may ask you directly or subtly to make a statement committing to liability or payment. Do not make any statements about fault or payment. Advise the person that the information will be submitted to your insurance company, who will be contacting them. (Only the insurance company can properly evaluate the claim or commit to payment.)

ONLY discuss the claim with a representative of the Pool or MCS. If anyone else contacts you about a claim, immediately refer them to MCS.

How To Report A Claim

An Occurence / Incident Reporting Form should be submitted as soon as possible, using the available information to complete as many responses as possible. Don’t wait for estimates or invoices before reporting a claim.

Check one of the four boxes at the top of the Occurrence Form to indicate the type of claim you are reporting:

  • Property Loss – claims involving damage to municipal property.
  • Automobile Loss – claims involving use of a municipal vehicle, whether the loss is caused by a municipal vehicle or there was physical damage done to a municipal vehicle.
  • General Liability Loss – claims made by third parties against the municipality.
  • Sewer Back Up Loss – claims involving a backup or overflow of any sewage or water from any sewer, drain or sump.

Submit the form online, or print the completed form and send it to MCS by fax or mail. You will receive a copy by email of all forms submitted online.

Where Do I Send Claim Forms or Related Documents?

Claim forms can be submitted directly online or by email, fax, or mail.
Additional documentation may be submitted by email, fax, or mail.

Email:  [email protected]

Fax:  616-649-1796

MML Pool Claims
3196 Kraft Avenue, S.E., Suite 206
Grand Rapids, MI  49512-2065

What type of Documentation Will I Need to Gather?

For damage to a municipal automobile, please obtain two estimates, but do not hold the Incident Report form while waiting for them. If the damage appears to be greater than $2,500, an appraiser may be sent to inspect the vehicle and confirm the damage amount with the repair facility.

You may be asked to provide a copy of a police report, estimates, invoices, contracts, agreements, maintenance records, policies and/or procedures, photos, measurements, personnel files or other documentation needed to evaluate a claim. Again, this information does not need to be gathered prior to submitting a claim.

Notice of Litigation or Correspondence From an Attorney

The first notice of a claim may come to you in the form of a letter from an attorney advising you of an accident or incident that occurred from your business operations. If you receive such a letter or other notification, forward the correspondence without delay to MCS by fax or mail. An adjuster will contact you.

If you are served with a Summons and Complaint, these documents must be immediately sent to MCS. Be sure to identify the date and method that the Summons was served upon you. An adjuster will contact you.

In either of these instances, only discuss the facts of the claim with a representative of the Pool, MSC, or attorneys that we have retained to represent you.

Comments, Concerns, Questions

The Michigan Municipal League Liability & Property Pool and Meadowbrook Claims Service are committed to providing quality claims service to you. If you have any questions involving these procedures or have questions in general about a claim, please contact the claims staff. By working as a team in the handling of your claims, we strive to see that all claims are resolved in a fair and equitable manner.

Meadowbrook Claims Service: 800-752-7477

Claims Staff Contacts

©2022 Michigan Municipal League LLC. All rights reserved