State Budget Represents Significant Investment in Michigan’s People and Communities
ANN ARBOR, Michigan – The Michigan Municipal League (MML) is issuing the following statement in relation to the state budget approved in the Michigan House and Senate. The budget calls for direct investment in municipal pensions, revenue sharing, roads, bridges, and public safety. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has signaled her support and we look forward to her signing this budget. The statement can be attributed to League Board President Barb Ziarko, Sterling Heights City Councilmember.
“The budget approved by the Legislature makes significant investment in the people of Michigan and the places they call home. Thanks to the leadership of Rep. Thomas Albert (R-Lowell), Sen. Jim Stamas (R-Midland), and the Governor and her team, this budget will bring needed relief to communities, and improve their capacity moving forward.”
Some of the budget highlights that will help strengthen our local communities include:
• $750 million to help underfunded municipal pension systems
• $16 million to fund a 5 percent ongoing and 1 percent one-time increase in revenue sharing resulting in one of the largest increases in the last two decades
• $75 million for blight elimination
• $31 million for city and village streets
• $94 million for local federal aid road and bridge construction
• $30 million for public safety academy assistance program
• $11 million for community policing
• $3 million to fund economic development efforts in rural communities through the Office of Rural Development
The action of the Legislature builds on the positive momentum of previous investments in our communities. With billions in revenue still available, there is opportunity going forward to equitably invest those remaining resources to ensure Michigan is an attractive place for talent and supports thriving communities in ways that benefit everyone. We look forward to working with the governor and legislative leaders in the coming months to identify additional investments that support people and the places they live, work, and play.”
For additional information contact the League’s Matt Bach, Assistant Director of Strategic Communications, at (734) 669-6317 and [email protected].
The MML Foundation is working to advance community wealth through strategic partnerships and investments in strong, diverse leadership for Michigan communities and place-based initiatives that drive equitable outcomes.