Protecting MI Pension Grant Application
Qualified units may begin the application process for the Protecting MI Pension Grant through the State of Michigan’s eSignature Solution.
Qualified units with a qualified retirement system may apply as early as April 17, 2023, but no later than June 15, 2023, using the electronic submission system (Michigan eSignature Solution).
Intended Audience: Any administrative official representing or assisting a city, village, township, county, or road commission that offer a defined benefit retirement pension system, including clerks, treasurers, elected officials, finance directors, city, township, or village managers, actuarial professionals, auditors and accounting staff, among others.
Reminder: Carefully Review the Eligibility Requirements and Required Supporting Documentation
Qualified units are strongly encouraged to ensure the accuracy and completeness of of the application packet prior to submission. For detailed information regarding the Protecting MI Pension Grant application process or the Michigan eSignature Solution, please visit the Protecting MI Pension Grant Application website at www.michigan.gov/MIPensionGrant. On this page you can also access application forms, instructions, checklists, a sample governing body resolution, and frequently asked questions related to this grant application process.
As a reminder, in addition to the application submitted online through Michigan’s eSignature Solution, the following supporting documentation is required to be attached prior to submission.
- Protecting MI Pension Grant Affidavit (Form 5887): Must be signed by Chief Administrative Officer and Notarized.
- Copy of approved local government governing body resolution authorizing the chief administrative officer to file a claim for a grant payment for the Protecting MI Pension Grant Program.
- Copy of actuarial valuation(s) utilized in audited financial statements used to complete the most recent Form 5572 submitted as of 12/31/2021 for all qualified retirement systems that are requesting grant awards.
- Most recent actuarial valuation as of 12/31/2022 for all qualified retirement systems that are requesting grant awards.
- Copy of court ordered judgement levying a millage to cover local government pension costs (only required if applicable)
Need more information? Questions?
|Additional information related to FAQs, program guidelines, and application materials are available at www.Michigan.gov/MIPensionGrant . Please be sure to sign up for Treasury – Local Government email alerts to be notified of additional updates to this grant program and other local government notifications.
Questions regarding the Protecting MI Pension Grant can be directed to Treasury by e-mail at [email protected]
John LaMacchia is the League’s director of state & federal affairs. He can be reached at [email protected] or 517-908-0303.