WATCH the hearing live here TODAY (March 13, 2018) at 2:30 p.m.: https://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/
Michigan Municipal League CEO and Executive Director Dan Gilmartin will speak before Congress in Washington D.C. this week about infrastructure needs. We all know how ferociously bad Michigan’s roads are. Now Washington, D.C. is going to learn.
Gilmartin has been invited to speak on behalf of local governments regarding state and local transportation infrastructure needs at a Senate subcommittee Tuesday, March 13, 2018. View the official information about the hearing here.
This is a major opportunity for Michigan, Gilmartin and the League to talk about how state and federal government has inadequately supported infrastructure. For more than a dozen years now Michigan has dis-invested in its local communities more than any other state in the nation. Gilmartin and a large Michigan contingent, including League Board President Catherine Bostick-Tullius, Lapeer city commissioner; and League Board Vice President Melanie Piana, Ferndale mayor pro tem, are in D.C. this week talking with congressional leaders as part of the National League of Cities annual Congressional City Conference. This year’s conference theme is “Rebuild With Us: Cities Strong Together” and much of the focus will be on rebuilding our nation’s infrastructure.
Some of the scheduled speakers at the conference include Ben Carson, Cabinet Secretary for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; Gale A. Brewer, Borough President, Manhattan, N.Y.; and Bill de Blasio, Mayor of New York City.
Here is the rundown of the event where Dan will be testifying:
Rebuilding Infrastructure in America: State and Local Transportation Needs
- Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
- Before the subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security at the Russell Senate Office Building
- Dan Gilmartin, Executive Director & CEO, Michigan Municipal League
- Kyle Schneweis, Director, Nebraska Department of Transportation
- Jordan Kass, President, Managed Services, TMC Division, C.H. Robinson
- Jo Strang, Senior Vice President, Safety and Regulatory Policy, American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association