In an effort to help local units of government address critical needs in recruiting and training first responders, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed Public Act 87 of 2021 that appropriates $5 million to create the First Responder Training and Recruitment Grant Program.
All Michigan cities, villages, townships, counties or fire authorities are eligible to apply for a grant of up to $100,000 related to first responder training and recruitment. First responders are police officers, firefighters, Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), paramedics, and the local unit of government corrections officers.
The Michigan Department of Treasury will be working directly with local units of government and other local government partners to implement this grant program.
Key items for local units of government to remember:
- A completed application with detailed information must be received by the Michigan Department of Treasury on or before Feb. 15, 2022.
- The governmental unit must demonstrate how budgeted costs directly relate to the recruitment or training of first responders.
- Priority will be given to projects that will be completed by Sept. 30, 2022.
- Projects are funded on a reimbursement basis.
- $2 million will be designated for communities with a per capita property taxable value of less than $15,000, with the remaining funds awarded based on a review of applications and the determination of the effective use of and need for the grant funds.
During the application review process, applicants may be contacted for clarification. The Michigan Department of Treasury reserves the right to award funds for an amount other than requested.
Applications will be selected for funding by the Michigan Department of Treasury based on program purpose, eligibility, and criteria. Projects are funded on a reimbursement basis.
See Governor Whitmer’s announcement on the grant program here.
Herasanna Richards is a legislative associate handling energy, environmental, elections, and external municipal services for the League. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-908-0309.