Michigan Municipal League members communities continue to step up in support of Proposal 1 in a variety of ways.
Recently a few more communities have passed resolutions in support of the road funding plan heading to voters May 5.
There are now at least eight communities that have passed resolutions – Wakefield, Clare, Elk Rapids, Lapeer, Norton Shores, Bessemer, Whitehall and Pleasant Ridge.
More resolutions are expected to be approved in the upcoming days and weeks. You can view the resolutions here. The League continues to actively encourage all Michigan communities to pass resolutions in support of Proposal 1. You can get a sample resolution here.
In addition, the city of Kalamazoo had a special meeting to discuss Proposal 1 and the League’s John LaMacchia attended and answered questions about it. A resolution vote from the city is expected later this month.
Other Proposal 1-related news from Michigan’s communities:
– Multiple Michigan communities will host news conferences in support of Proposal 1 this month and next.
– The Michigan Municipal League will host a Safe Roads Symposium on Tuesday, March 31, 2015, beginning at 6:30 p.m. The event will take place at the Velocity Collaboration Center, 6633 18 Mile Rd, Sterling Heights, MI 48314, and will be open to the public. A panel of experts will break down the details and impacts of Proposal 1. Please click the following link to view the invite. MML_Symposium_Invite. For more information please contact the Velocity Collaboration Center at 586-884-9322.
– About 100 Michigan mayors, council members and municipal managers had a conference call with Governor Snyder Friday afternoon. Governor Snyder is an active support of Proposal 1 and he answered questions from the local municipal officials about the ballot initiative. He also encouraged them to pass resolutions in support and write letters and opinion pieces to their local media.
– A letter in support of Proposal 1 by League Vice President Nathan Triplett, mayor of East Lansing, was published in the Lansing State Journal Saturday. You can read it here.
– Under the headline, “For Safety’s Sake: Vote Yes on Proposal 1,” The Detroit Free Press did an in-depth editorial Sunday about why people should support Proposal 1.
Matt Bach is director of media relations for the Michigan Municipal League. He can be reached at [email protected] and (734) 669-6317.