The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Office of Rail is now soliciting competitive applications from local road agencies who wish to partner with railroads to improve the condition of railroad crossing surfaces within their communities.
There is no cost or obligation for local road agencies to participate in this program. If selected, projects are covered by 60% state funding with a 40% railroad match.
This program is specifically for the repair or reconstruction of railroad crossing surfaces and only covers work items that are to be performed by the railroad company. By law, roadway approach repairs remain the responsibility of the road agency and the establishing legislation specifically excludes roadway approach work from participation in crossing surface project awards.
Guidance for the 2023 Program follows below:
- Applications may only be submitted by local road authorities, in cooperation with a participating railroad.
- Applications must include detailed railroad estimates, proof of 40% railroad match, updated traffic counts, and road agency approval of detour routes.
- Eligible project costs include materials, labor and equipment for railroad work items: engineering costs and roadway approach work are not eligible.
- Applications will be accepted if received via e-mail by September 30, 2022.
- Project selection will be in compliance with the criteria established by law.
- Projects should be selected/announced by late November.
It is incumbent upon railroads and road agencies to work together to assure that applications are complete and accurate. It should also be noted there are significant public advantages if a proposed project includes coordinated adjacent road work. Therefore, road agencies are encouraged to seek opportunities to combine adjacent roadway surface improvement projects with any pending railroad crossing surface applications, as this project category will receive priority consideration in the 2023 Program.
This program is administered in compliance with enabling legislation, details of which can be found in Act 51, MCL 247.661(1)(d). Application materials and instructions are available by clicking here, and a list of railroad contact information can be found at that the following link. 2022 Local Surface Grade Crossing Railroad Contact List – REVISED
Please feel free to contact Kris Foondle directly in the Office of Rail directly at 734-657-1626 if you have any questions.
John LaMacchia is the League’s director of state & federal affairs. He can be reached at [email protected] or 517-908-0303.