Time is running out for Michigan communities to accept the American Rescue Plan dollars. The Michigan Department of Treasury has provided regular updates to the Michigan Municipal League on this issue and told us a large majority of our communities have submitted their application for this funding. Thank you to all those communities that have accepted the funding!
But state officials tell us there are still a number of communities that need to complete the submission portal. The original deadline to declare intentions for the funding was Tuesday, July 27, but Treasury officials said they will continue to accept requests for this funding through the state’s submission portal here.
There are 1,724 cities, villages and townships classified as Non-Entitlement Units (NEUs) that are eligible to receive American Rescue Plan Act dollars. State officials tell us that nearly all Michigan’s NEU cities and a majority of the NEU villages have accepted the funding.
Please submit your requests ASAP. The League’s ServeMICity program is here to help. Simply email [email protected] and someone will respond quickly with support for your questions.
The ServeMICity program can help you do two things:
- Fill out the submission request to ensure your funds are not wasted or given away.
- Assist you in deciding how to use the American Rescue Plan funding for your community once you’ve accepted it. Remember, the funding does not need to be budgeted until the end of 2024 and fully spent until the end of 2026. There is no risk in accepting the funds now and taking your time to figure out how to spend the dollars.
Here is a very helpful and detailed, step-by-step Treasury Department video with the instructions. Please note you have three options in filling out the forms, and the video explains each: Time stamps to skip forward: Option 1: Accept the funds (6:36); Option 2: Decline the funds and transfer your community’s money to the state of Michigan (10:33); Option 3: Decline the funds and distribute your community’s money to other local units of government (13:40).
Here are step-by-step instructions from the Treasury Department for NEUs filling out the portal:
- Log on to the ELITE system portal.
- Select form “ARPA CLFRF Request.”
- If you do not already have a login for Michigan Treasury’s ELITE system, select “Request Access New User” from the login page.
- Filing instructions can be found on the state website.
- All application documents must be saved as PDFs and uploaded during the submission process.
- The data entered into the ELITE system must match the data entered on all forms or your submission will be denied (i.e., CAO name does not match), and resubmission will be required.
- For assistance in calculating your Top Line Budget, please review Michigan Department of Treasury Numbered Letter 2021-5. Please note, this calculation is your approved budget with any amendments as of January 27, 2020.
For more detailed step-by-step instructions click here.
More information and resources on CLFRF are available at Michigan.gov/ARPA.
Questions regarding the CLFRF can be directed to the Michigan Department of Treasury by e-mail at [email protected].
If you need help, contact the League’s ServeMICity team at [email protected].