This week House passed HB 5045 by vote of 103-5. This bill would allow a local unit of government to pass an ordinance that would allow golf carts on roads under their jurisdiction. The following requirements must be met.
- Must have a population less that 30,000
- The operator must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid drivers license
- The golf cart must be operated on the far right side of the roadway
- You can only operate the golf cart between a half hour after sunrise and a half hour before sunset
- Drivers must use hand signals to indicate turning and stopping
The golf cart cannot exceed 15 mph and can not operate on a road with a speed limit of more than 30 mph
John LaMacchia is a Legislative Associate for the League handling transportation and infrastructure issues. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-908-0303