A message from the League’s Arnold Weinfeld:
The Michigan Municipal League is participating in a new coalition, Defend Michigan Democracy, and is encouraging our members to get involved as well. We are simply asking you to go to www.defendingmidemocracy.com and join the effort to defend the constitutional principle of majority rule, by submitting your e-mail address on the webpage and following the effort on the various social media outlets listed below. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank You – Arnold Weinfeld, Director, Strategic Initiatives, Michigan Municipal League, [email protected], 517-908-0304
Please Join Us And Defend Michigan Democracy
The State Board of Canvassers is being asked to certify what could be the most dangerous ballot proposal to be put before Michigan voters in many years. We must take action now before that happens.
The so-called supermajority proposal would require a 2/3 vote of the Legislature to approve any new tax or, revision or renewal of any current tax. Campaign finance reports show that a shadowy group tied to billionaire Ambassador bridge owner Matty Maroun has already put up more than $1 million to buy signatures for this proposal.
We encourage you to learn more about this dangerous proposal at www.defendmidemocracy.com.
We’d like to ask you to take the following steps to join us:
1. Enter your e-mail address at www.defendmichigandemocracy.com
2. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/DefendMIDemocracy
3. Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/defendmi
4. Add us to your circles on Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/113591930729187047501/posts
5. Invite your audiences to do the same
If enacted, impact of this proposal would:
– Prevent much needed repairs of our roads supported by business groups and Gov. Snyder (infrastructure tax increases needed to restore gas tax revenues is ready for a vote soon)
– Allow out-of-state businesses to continue to cherry-pick Michigan customers at the expense of our home grown retailers forever (internet tax reform is moving in other states; we will be left behind).
– Allow just one-third of the members of one chamber of Michigan’s Legislature to obstruct any state tax reform
– Endanger our entire health system (a tax bill will expire in 2014 that funds $1.2 billion of Medicaid; it will not be passed in our legislature)
Let’s be sure to send a message that wealthy special interests cannot use our state constitution for their own self interests. Get engaged today, so we can be prepared to help fight this proposal in the weeks ahead.
Thanks again – Arnold